i love guns!

yeah...JUST KIDDING...so now that I've got your attention (and the attention of some law enforcement officials), I'd like to discuss a topic that I find MOST interesting: guns in America and Canada. I know 'Bowling for Columbine' by Michael Moore came out ages ago, but every once in a while I find myself thinking about it, specifically the topic of violence and murders occuring within the two countries. My biggest question? Why does the U.S. have more gun-related deaths than Canada does? It's not because of movies or tv since we get the same - my guess? It's got to be because of the accessibility of the weapons. Or because of their constitution that specifically recites the Right to Bear Arms. What else could it be? What makes Detroit the most dangerous city in America with 385 gun-related murders last year? Is it because people are just generally angrier? Or is it because they can get these guns anywhere? Are the sentences for committing these crimes that leniant that criminals don't feel threatened by them?
And what came first: the gun or the violence? Does all of this violence occur because of the presence of guns, or were the guns already around to become a force used for power? It's very interesting to me and I'm going to try and find some articles on the topic.

What are your thoughts?
~casey

4 Response to "i love guns!"

  1. Tracey Robertson Says:

    whoa what a heavy topic to have after a vacation!! but to answer your question violence or guns coming first...it would have to be violence, because look at history before guns ever existed....there was always ways to kill people and torture them.

    alrite...i have to go unpack....have a great day ladies!

  2. casey Says:

    i can't believe you wrote on here first before calling!!!!!!!

  3. Anonymous Says:

    I agree with Tracey that violence is first, but it increases because of the accessablilty of guns. There also seems to be a lot moer stabbings too. Not that I would know how to get a gun if I wanted, but I don't imagine it would be that hard. Sometimes I think we just notice things that have been going on for a while now, because we are older.

    Did you guys watch the debate yesterday? ALl I have to say, is if they want people to watch the whole thing, they need commercial breaks!!!
    Tracy, how was your trip??!!!!!!!

  4. Tracey Robertson Says:

    sorry i never called but my ears were plugged so i couldn't hear...i just went to the dr though so all is well! trip good! :)