the joy of cooking...

So here is something that you may not know about me: I.love.cookbooks. I mean, I really love them. I was just talking to a neighbour and she told me that she reads cookbooks in bed at night - ok, I may not be there yet, but I think I am close. I love going through new books to find recipes that I am interested in cooking, as well as just reading about different techniques. In our home, Sal really does most of the cooking at suppertime, and I am the baker. I love baking anything. One thing that I have begun to do more often is actually read the whole recipe before starting - what a concept, hey? Too many times have I started to cook an onion or meat, add the other ingredients, only to discover two sentences down that I was supposed to marinate the whole thing overnight or let something sit for three hours when I am already starving!

Sal and I watched the movie 'Julie & Julia' last night - hence, the gastronomical posting! I really, really enjoyed it. I loved all of the dishes being prepared, and I especially loved the character of Julia Child - I wish she was a family member of mine who I could go see on the weekends and cook with. I am always fascinated by french cuisine, but have not had much luck cooking it. There are too many ingredients, too many steps, and too many things that can go wrong. I hate spending time in the kitchen only to have prepared a disappointing dish (this happened most recently with potato salad - I blame the recipe. How can potato salad taste bad?) I often will take out cookbooks from the library and spend hours going through them and re-copying the recipes I like into my own cookbook. You cannot understand how happy the process makes me.

I have a couple of favourite cookbooks. My cooking bible is 'The Joy of Cooking'. I was given this book by a wonderful friend and her mom for my wedding shower, and believe me - it is well loved. One thing we have always done in our family is to date the recipe the first time we cook it and write a review. Many a page of my copy has been reviewed:


(they really are the best pancakes - making them is a weekend tradition!)

Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook is also wonderful. I photocopied a lot of recipes out of there, including the coconut cake I made for Sal's birthday. I really love making new things. It provides a real sense of accomplishment if it tastes good! Here is the front and inside of my own recipe book - the one that I copy recipes from friends, family, and other cooks! (Yes, it is a Harry Potter blnk journal that I got as a gift...seriously...what else was I supposed to do with it?)

oh god, that cover kills me everytime I look at it...


(edit: did you see the list of ingredients under the apple pie recipe? wow - I am a quick one!)

Again, that is my very well used and well loved book! I always take a look at the Martha Stewart Everyday Food magazine when I am at the grocery store. Super easy and generally healthy recipes. That is something I also look for in a recipe. I am starting to eat more and more fruit and vegetables and less meats. Sal and I have not eaten red meat in over 6 months, and ever since reading the book 'Food Matters' by Mark Bittman, I am even more set on that way of eating. I am so glad we grew so much lettuce in our garden as I have been eating so many salads as of late.

So that's me, and what I make, and what inspires me. My question to you: do you use cookbooks, or are you one of those free spirits who can't stand the thought of following recipes? What cookbooks do you turn to?

c.

4 Response to "the joy of cooking..."

  1. Tracey Robertson Says:

    omigosh casey i do the same thing!! i always find out i was suppost to marinate overnight or forgot some ingredient...that is probably why mark cooks and i stick to baking as well.

    i love your dating idea/review. that is a really good idea. my theory is the first time i cook i am going to screw it up. i am so scared people are going to put me on this show

    http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/inedible-to-incredible/

    BUT my absolute new favourite cook book is jamie oliver's food revolution. it is fantastic! and i have yet to screw up a recipe! its idiot proof and fabulous food so you should really look to add it to your collection!

  2. Tracey Robertson Says:

    that is so funny because i was going to write a blog about cookbooks too...but more on jamie oliver than the whole cookbook genre! :)

  3. Rebekah The Craft Fiend Says:

    I totally read cookbooks in bed, sometimes Brian's side ends up full of books! One of my go-to fav's is "A New Way to Cook" by Sally Schneider- if you like simple recipies that leave room for revision or different versions it's perfect.

  4. Mom Says:

    My favorite cookbooks are the Best of Bridge series .. easy recipes, easy-to-find ingredients and they most always turn out. These cookbooks have been burnt on the stove, dripped on, written on .. very much used and loved cookbooks. And over the years they have made wonderful gifts.