babes...

I cannot believe it, but I am already more than half done my placement on the maternity unit here in the city. What I also can't believe is that I have loved it so much! Being in an inner city hospital absolutely has its challenges - dealing with families living just at or below the poverty line, single mothers, very young moms and dads...etc. The toughest part yet has been seeing and working with the babies who are born to moms who used drugs during the pregnancy. These poor little babes are born already going through withdrawl symptoms. Day one for us brought a little thing who had horrible shudders go through his body every few minutes. And once he was held, they stopped - he just needed some love. All I am thinking as I see these little babies is tremendous sadness for them and their future, but then I give the best care I absolutely can. I suppose that is what being a good nurse is - being empathetic on the outside while hiding your sympathy and raw feelings on the inside. Frick, it's hard!

The best part about this placement is being able to hold brand new little babes who just entered this world. It's pretty incredible...

(I want another one...)

c.

1 Response to "babes..."

  1. Megan Says:

    I LOVE SUPER MARIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!