readin'

Oh boy. I am sitting here listening to my little girl cry and cry, refusing to go to bed. One of the hardest parts of being a parent - letting the little one cry and choosing not to do anything about it! Both of us are still getting over our colds. She's still got a pretty runny nose and slept with us in bed last night as she was up coughing and pretty upset all through the evening. Poor thing...

Anyway, we had a pretty busy day around here today. Got the roof done (finally!), which means no more leaks in our front room. Yayy! Then tonight I watched the tv show 'Glee' for the first time. I kind of feel like I am the only one around who hasn't seen this show yet (besides my sister, right?) I'm going to say that I was not totally disappointed. Tracey, you were right - I love Sue Sylvester! What a funny character. Kind of unbelievable what they get away with on tv now, hey?

Anyway, all about books. I thought that when I finished school and my placements I would have so much more time to read, but by the time I get through my day and into bed, I'm too exhausted to do any reading! I did just finish one: 'Middlesex' by Jeffrey Eugenides. Here is a little blurb about it: "I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974." And so begins Middlesex, the mesmerizing saga of a near-mythic Greek American family and the "roller-coaster ride of a single gene through time." The odd but utterly believable story of Cal Stephanides, and how this 41-year-old hermaphrodite was raised as Calliope, is at the tender heart of this long-awaited second novel from Jeffrey Eugenides, whose elegant and haunting 1993 debut, The Virgin Suicides, remains one of the finest first novels of recent memory."

(Umm...did you know that you can read entire novels on Google? Not sure how I feel about this yet...thoughts?)

Next up for me is going to be the last book in the Millennium series, 'The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest'. So, so excited. If you haven't started the series yet, you should. But really try and keep going and get through the first few chapters of the first book. They are dry and political, and boring, but it gets so much better! I also have the latest Vinyl Cafe book on the go, which I try and read when I can. And finally, mom gave me her copy of Wishin' and Hopin' by Wally Lamb. It's meant to be a Christmas story, but you should really try to grab a copy of it. I am only three chapters into it, but it is so funny. I have laughed out loud a number of times already.

So what's keeping you busy? What are you reading?

3 Response to "readin'"

  1. Megan Says:

    yes i have to say i have not watched Glee....nor do I have any interest in it. The TV shows that i try to watch religiously are.....well i can't really say. I do love my Wipeout but it is recorded so if i miss it...no big deal. I did watch the pilot for Chase on Monday nights. I did enjoy it so maybe that will be a good one to keep up with. I do still love Criminal Minds and L&O: SVU. But i dont change my schedule and make sure i am home to see them.

    I got 2 books for my birthday: Eat Pray Love and The Glass Castle. i am hoping to start those soon. I do have the first book in the series of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo which i borrowed from mom....which actually belongs to you. I think i might start that book first knowing that there are 2 more in the series. I might keep Eat Pray Love and The Glass Castle for after i read those other 3.

    Anyways those are my reads.

  2. Tracey Robertson Says:

    i read that wally lamb book and have to agree that it was pretty funny...ahh to grow up in the 50s...

    case i thought of you when sue went in to the bathroom and told them all to shut up...he he he...because i know how much you love musicals!! :)

    i am still reading book of negros but i got a couple of chicklet books...one is the new sophie kinsela and the other is "the menonite in the black dress"

    ciao!

  3. Tracey Robertson Says:

    ooo and megan the glass castle is fantastic...slightly distressing but a good read. and i love eat pray love.

    stern men by elizabeth gilbert is pretty cute too...maritime life book but good.